How can Epilepsy Queensland assist me to prepare for the NDIS?
We believe that the decisions about your life and your NDIS plan are yours to make. We are here to support you to navigate the new system, and make sure you are heard and have the information you need to make informed decisions about what will work best for you and your family.
There are a number of ways Epilepsy Queensland Inc. can assist you through the NDIS process:
• pre-planning support – we have developed a comprehensive workbook to help you work through this process
• Provide a statement of current supports
• NDIS Information Sessions
• NDIS newsletters to get all the latest NDIS news and updates
• Epilepsy Queensland website www.epilepsyqueensland.com.au/ndis for regular updates.
For further information about NDIS
Call Epilepsy Queensland NDIS team on 07 3435 5000, email email@example.com or visit www.ndis.gov.au.
I have Epilepsy, not a Disability – so am I eligible for the NDIS?
Many people with epilepsy do not identify as having a disability, and therefore, believe they are not eligible for supports under the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
However, epilepsy is a chronic health condition and recognised as a disability under the National Disability Insurance Act (2013), both on its own and as part of other disability types.
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) exists to provide supports and services, considered to be “reasonable and necessary” to people who have a functional impairment and require support across various areas of their life to enhance their independence and be active, and contributing members of their community.
Examples of support may include:
• assistance to enhance independence, including help around the home;
• to visit and maintain contact with family and friends;
• participate in social and recreational activities;
• support to find and keep a job;
• access to therapy support or aids and equipment to keep you safe and maintain your independence
• or support across important life transition stages – e.g. going to school, finishing school and entering the workforce, moving out of home etc.