Public Health (Medicinal Cannabis Affordability) Amendment Bill 2017
On 14 February 2017, Mr Steve Dickson MP, the Member for Buderim, introduced the Public Health (Medicinal Cannabis Affordability) Amendment Bill 2017 as a Private Member’s Bill.
The Bill has been referred to the Health, Communities, Disability Services and Domestic and Family Violence Prevention Committee for consideration. The committee is required to report to the Parliament by Monday, 14 August 2017.
Objectives of the Bill
The Bill amends the Public Health (Medicinal Cannabis) Act 2016 to provide that the Minister must take all necessary and reasonable steps to ensure the cost of the lawful treatment of a person with whole plant medicinal cannabis is affordable for a person incurring the cost of the patient’s treatment.
The Bill provides that the steps to ensure the affordability of lawful treatment with whole plant medicinal cannabis include negotiating with the Commonwealth to ensure:
· Commonwealth law regulating the importation of whole plant medicinal cannabis does not unnecessarily restrict the importation of whole plant medicinal cannabis from particular foreign manufacturers, and
· the subsidising, by the Commonwealth or State, of the cost of lawful treatment with whole plant medicinal cannabis imported from foreign manufacturers.
Call for submissions
The committee seeks submissions on the Bill and invites you to make a submission. An information sheet which provides guidelines on making a submission can be found here - Guide to making a submission.
Written submissions should be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to:
Health, Communities, Disability Services, and Domestic and Violence Prevention Committee
Brisbane Qld 4000
Submissions should include:
· the author’s name and signature
· if the submission is made on behalf of an organisation, the level of approval (e.g. a local branch, executive committee or national organisation)
· mailing address (and email if available), and
· daytime telephone number.
Please ensure your submission includes the above information or it may not be considered by the Committee.
The closing date for submissions is Thursday, 27 April 2017 at 4.00pm.
The Public Health (Medicinal Cannabis Affordability) Amendment Bill 2017 and Explanatory Notes are available at these links and from the Office of the Queensland Parliamentary Counsel at www.legislation.qld.gov.au.
Mr Dickson MP’s explanatory speech for the Bill can be accessed here.
If you have any queries, please contact the committee secretariat on (07) 3553 6626 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Queensland clinical trials of Medicinal Cannabis for children with severe epilepsy have been announced.