For people with epilepsy, My Health Record can provide an important safeguard, with their key health information including allergies, chronic conditions, medications and test results available securely online for treating health professionals to access, which is particularly important in an emergency situation.
- Your record can contain a summary of information such as medications, medical conditions, pathology and medical imaging results, immunisations, hospital, specialist, GP and allied health visits.
- Because healthcare providers have better access to your clinical information, they have a more detailed picture to make decisions, diagnose and provide treatment.
- In emergency situations, treating doctors have been able to use My Health Record to provide the appropriate treatment quickly.
- Your health information can be viewed securely online, from anywhere, at any time, even if you move or travel interstate.
- You don’t need to remember the dates of medical visits, tests, medicine names or dosages.
- It’s your record and you can determine what information it contains and set controls on who can view it. You can also ask your doctor that some information not be uploaded to your record.
- Only health professionals involved in your care are authorised to access your record. Heavy penalties apply for inappropriate use.
- Security is a key design element of the My Health Record system, which adheres to high level Australian Government security requirements.