Before the start of the new school year have you thought about the following:
All Epilepsy Management Plans need to be updated every 12 months even if there is no change in medications, seizures or management. Epilepsy Queensland can help you with a new epilepsy management plan template or we can help complete a comprehensive epilepsy plan for you, making it easier for you to update at any time or obtain a new copy at any time. It is always best to make several copies of this plan for your own record. Please visit our Management Plans page of our website for more information or if you would like assistance with developing a comprehensive epilepsy management plan please contact us.
All Midazolam Management Plans need to be updated every 12 months even if there is no change to the dosage, timing or seizures. Epilepsy Queensland can provide you with a Midazolam management plan template for you to take to your prescribing doctor for them to complete. It is always best to make several copies of this plan for your own record. Please visit our Management Plans page of our website for more information or for help with any of the above please contact us.
Check Your Midazolam Kit
- Check the expiry date of the Midazolam
- Is the Midazolam wrapped in the original foil packaging or aluminium foil?
- Is the foil packaging labelled with the date the packaging was opened? (Midazolam expires within 8 months of opening the foil packaging)
- Does the kit have your child’s name clearly marked for easy identification?
Does Your Midazolam Kit Contain:
- Plastic Midazolam vials 5mg in1ml
- 1ml syringes
- An atomiser for intranasal administration
- Disposable plastic gloves
- Pencil and paper for documentation
- The new Midazolam Management Plan
Have You Considered the Following:
- Are the contents of the kit stored in a container? (a small plastic lunchbox is suitable)
- Is the container kept out of reach of children, both at home and school?
- Is the kit kept below 25 degrees Celsius, and out of direct sunlight, both at home and at school? (Midazolam is not to be stored in the fridge or freezer)
- Have you provided an ice brick and cooler for the kit to be stored in during the hotter months when taking the kit outside?
- Do you have a separate kit for home and school? (This is to ensure the kit is never forgotten between destinations)
Midazolam is not to be kept on the child’s person, in their school bag or desk. It is to be given to the school teacher or support worker for storage away from children, but it needs to remain accessible to staff in the event of a seizure occurring.
- Atomisers and syringes are available for purchase through Epilepsy Queensland, please contact us.
- Does your child’s school teacher, day care teacher, support worker, grandparent or other family or friends caring for your child at any time need training in Understanding Epilepsy or the Administration of Midazolam? Epilepsy Queensland can provide training in both of these areas. Please visit our Training Page for more information
- Will your child be participating in any school based or personal swimming programs, hydrotherapy, horse riding, sailing or school camps? If yes, you will need a letter from your doctor giving your child permission to participate in one or all of these activities. All schools now request these letters before the child is allowed to participate, and they do not always give you a lot of notice. Considering how difficult it can be to get an appointment with your doctor, it is advisable that you have all the required letters written in one go prior to the start of the New Year. It is one less thing you will have to worry about. If you would like more information on how your child can swim safely with epilepsy please visit the Participating at School page of our website or contact us.
- Does your school, day care centre, respite facility or your home need resources to assist in understanding epilepsy? Epilepsy Queensland has a range of children’s story books and school resources available to help both children and adults understand epilepsy. For a brochure on the children’s books and school resources available please contact us.
For more information or help with any of the above please contact us on 07 3435 5000 or 1300 852 853 (Regional Queensland) or email Services@epilepsyqueensland.com.au.